Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Dala Trotting and Century Riding

This past Saturday was an active day for the Parkinson family! Clara and I participated in the Dala Trot and Dada participated in the century bike ride. Since I refuse to push in strollers in races, Abuelita pushed Clarita in the two mile run/walk. Tia Laurie also ran this event and was able to finish quickly enough to snap a picture of Clarita and Abuelita as they crossed the finish line. This was Abuelita's first ever race and she got second in her age group! She is now planning on beating her time for the race next year! Clarita's favorite part of the race were Dada's grapes at the finish line. She ate my entire package and then cried for more!

Run Abuelita, run!


Add caption
Mas uvas!

Part of Team HMC and Team Crossfit

I have run the Dala Trot 10K four times and always go into it with the intention of winning that horse. This year my dreams were dashed before the race even began when a friend informed me that the fastest female around had shown up for the race. I knew I couldn't beat her but was hoping for second place. Sadly that dream was also crushed as a mother of five also beat me. Talking to her after the race gave me hope that I can continue to run fast even after having multiple kids! I drowned my sorrows in the Swedish pancake breakfast and rejoiced in the fact that I still got my personal best in just under 42 minutes.

No matter how hard I try to look normal
I always look like I'm flailing when I run

After the race Clara took a nap and then we rushed to get ready and see Dada finish his century bike ride. Yes that's right, he is crazy and decided to ride his bike 100 miles including up the giant hill to Abuelita's house (too bad she wasn't there because he rode right by her house)! Tio Chino and Michael Toms also did the ride. Clara and I arrived in time for her to eat lunch, cheer for some bikers, and watch Dada finish. He finished in just over seven hours (including stops) and we were very impressed. He even pulled two guys (lead them and broke the wind) for the last forty miles and they said he saved their lives!


mmm Sweet potatoes

She kept saying "Dada? Dada? Dada?"

Almost finished and still enough energy to wave!

While we waited for Tio Chino and Michael to finish, Clara had fun waving to people and standing in the middle of the table yelling. She was overly due for a nap and turned into Clarita la Loquita! After the ride we headed to In N Out where the guys got a well deserved (and very gross looking) four by four (that's four hamburger patties) and Clarita got some french fries and part of my grilled cheese. Clara was so worn out she slept the entire way home and stayed asleep until 7:00 once we got home! In a couple more years Clarita will be running and biking alongside us!


La Loquita


Four by fours!


No comments:

Post a Comment