Monday, June 2, 2014

The Littlest Hiker

On Sunday, May 25, 2014 we took a hike in Redwood Canyon in Kings Canyon National Park with a group of people who have cabins in Wilsonia where Fafa and Abuela Sheri have a cabin. Fafa was helping to lead the hike so we thought it would be a good trip to try out the hiking baby backpack. We borrowed the backpack from a friend of Kevin's and hadn't had the opportunity to test it out yet.


Sleeping Wiggle

The hike was about seven miles and went through part of the canyon where the Dogwood trees were blooming. It was a beautiful hike and Clarita seemed to enjoy it. I carried the backpack for the first part of the trip and Clara bounced, squealed, and even took a nap. Kevin and I decided to leave the rest of the group and head out on our own so we could walk at our own pace and let Clara run around for awhile at lunch. She must have worked up an appetite in the backpack because she ate half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and half a nectarine. She then proceeded to smile and wave at other hikers passing by, play with giant pine cones, and run all over. I think that she had a good time!

mmm nectarine!

This pine cone is almost as big as me!

Kevin took over backpack duty and Clara once again squealed and bounced. He gave her a stick to carry and she swung it all around and held on to it like it was gold. She fell asleep at the end of the hike and stayed asleep in the backpack on the ground...until it tipped over that is. Apparently I did not set it on level ground and it toppled over. Luckily it is sturdy and she wasn't hurt, just a little dazed and confused!


Look at my stick!

Donde esta Clarita?


She looks like a little doll

It turned out to be a great trip and Clarita really seemed to enjoy it. Although the backpack became a little uncomfortable on my shoulders after four miles of mainly uphill travel, it wasn't too bad. I think if I had spent more time to properly adjust it I would have been more comfortable. I foresee a lot of hikes in our future!


No comments:

Post a Comment