Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Busiest Week!


This may have been Clarita's busiest week yet! I was going to start writing just about the highlights of our week but there were so many highlights this week that I have to talk about them all...On Sunday our church had a luncheon for the SEED students; international exchange students who attend the local community college. Many of you know that Kevin and I hosted one of these students, Deyra, and she lived with us for ten months (see http://kevinandshannonhonduras.blogspot.com/ for more information on that experience or our Peace Corps experience). Since moving out we haven't seen Deyra much as she is always busy with school and her friends. She had not yet met Clarita and was very excited to meet and hold her. The students did a little performance and then Deyra snuggled with Clara.

The SEED students

Deyra

She's a natural at holding babies

Family picture (minus my mom who had already left)
On Wednesday my good friend from grad school, Cara, and her daughter, Avery, came to visit. They live in Kansas City now and we had not seen Cara or her husband Leif since their wedding almost five years ago! We had not met their daughter who is two and a half. Leif had to go to San Jose for work so Cara and Avery came along and drove down to spend the afternoon with us. We had a great time catching up and meeting each other's little ones. We even took a trip to the park! Avery really liked Clara and knew exactly what to do with Clara's pacifier...put it in her crying mouth! Avery also loved our cats and they, surprisingly, liked her too.
Avery loved to pet Clarita!
Wednesday evening Tio Robert and Tia Erika came over for dinner and to see Clara (people seem to like us more now that we have a baby:). We even took a walk. Clara was not in the best of moods Wednesday, but I think that she may have spoiled me by being such a good baby. Now if she's a little fussy I think that she is having a terrible day.
Tios!
A bunch of our friends used to have an indoor soccer team (see: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Slizzard/182184681827952?fref=ts to see our awesome team). I had to quit playing when I was about three months pregnant and the rest of the team quit playing last December. Some of the team has recently started playing weekly pick up games and our friend Sarah sweetly offered to watch Clarita so Kevin and I could both play. She and Reedcito hung out with Clara who of course slept the entire time! Reedcito was really cute and even gave Clara a big hug! We went to Laurie and Russell's for our weekly dinner/tv show watching after soccer so Clara got to snuggle with her Tia (Russell still isn't into holding her). We got her ready for bed before we left and she went right to sleep and didn't even wake up when I took her out of her car seat and swaddled her when we got home!
Sarah and Reedcito watching Clarita
On Friday Clara and I went to get my allergy shot and then I decided to brave the mall with her since I needed to use a Groupon (I really love to buy Groupons). We got there right as it opened so it wasn't too busy. Of course I did not plan well and forgot the carrier and didn't even think of bringing the stroller. So I had to carry her in her car seat...very heavy and not so fun. I sure learned my lesson! We got what we needed and booked it out of there to my grandparent's house for a surprise visit. They were of course very excited to see Clarita.

Cara, Leif, and Avery were still in San Francisco so on Saturday we headed up to spend the day with them. Clara slept most of the way with a stop to eat in Gilroy. I once again forgot the carrier so she had to spend most of the day in her car seat in either the car or the stroller. Our friend, Josh from Peace Corps, also lives in San Francisco so he met us for lunch and got to meet Clara. She loved him of course! Clara and I had a fun moment at lunch. I took her to the bathroom to change her and there was no changing area. I ended up sitting on the toilet and changed her on my lap! I considered changing her on the floor by our table just to prove a point, but decided against it. Funny how I never noticed if places had changing stations before and now it is quite important to me. We had a great time hanging out with Cara, Leif, Avery, and Josh. During a walk on a very windy pier, one of Clara's socks fell off and blew away but she didn't seem to mind. She seemed to like the wind and kept sticking out her tongue to lick it. We didn't get home until 11:30 PM, but Clara was a trooper. She was happy most of the day and I think that her first road trip was a huge success!
Happy in the car

Tio Josue

First time at the ocean

Family picture

Feeding her while trying to protect her from the cold wind (notice the missing sock)

Clara and Avery

1 comment:

  1. Solid post, Shannon! It turns out it's fun having more than just photos, but an actual narrative on what you guys are doing. I'm legit hooked to the Shannon-Kevin-Clara Show!

    Favorite Photos Include: Mirror shot, for creativity --
    All sun-shiney San Francisco photos; a sunny SF day is simple perfection to the max -- and the last photo because your friend's little girl has such a sweet little face

    abrazo fuerte-

    ReplyDelete